I live in Phonix, AZ and my car broke down in Tucson, AZ. I had AAA tow my car to the shop on speedway Wednesday after I had replaced the torque converter and was unable to figure out the wiring to get it running. I spoke to Jimmy over the phone and asked him to fix the wiring and to reattach the exhaust. He said he would be able to get to work on in Thursday. He didn't send me a quote until Saturday and he quoted it at $390. I felt this was pretty reasonable considering he would need to take off the intake manifold to get to the wiring harness.
He calls me Monday and tells me that they needed to do additional work to get it running and says it will be ready Wednesday. On Wednesday he called me back while I was traveling to Tucson and says they needed to do $280 more work and that the current total was $586. I told him not to do anymore work until I got there to see what else they needed to do. He said "You are either going to pay us the additional $280 or we are going to push your car out to the street and you can deal with it." When I got there the car was completely dismantled and they said they did it to move around bolts. They also bought a new steering pulley for it along with other parts that didn't need to be replaced. I met their technician and he seemed incredibly incompetent and was asking me where various parts went. I told them that I never asked them to move around bolts and replace parts. I only wanted them to fix the wiring and reattach the rear exhaust. Jimmy told me, "We don't do partial jobs."
I argued with them for about a half hour that they can't do work without my consent and told them I was going have the car towed back and put it back together myself. I also explained to them that I hadn't tested the transmission and wasn't even sure if it would work so all this work they were doing might have been pointless. I intended to sell it for parts if it didn't work. At this point he agreed to only charge me $140 to reassemble my engine and having done it once before I thought this sounded reasonable seeing as they had ripped everything out. He called me that Friday and said the car was finished and that it was running well. He also said that one of the parts the technician was asking about went into the idle air control sensor. I looked up the idle air control sensor and didn't see how that part could ever fit inside it. I went to Autozone and bought one to have them explain where it went. I traveled back down to Tucson to pick up my car yet again. When I got there I told them that i didn't think that part went into the idle air control sensor. I pulled out the idle air control sensor I had in my pocket and asked them to show me how it fits inside.
Their technician stuttered trying to form some kind of lie to explain it but he could not. I asked them to please return the part to me so I can figure out where it went and Jimmy told the technician to go fetch the part. While Jimmy is talking to me I see the technician pull the part out of a trash bin on the security camera. I took the part without saying what i had just saw. Went out to my car and Jimmy wanted to go for a test drive to make sure everything was working. The car stalled out twice when I tried to shift it to drive and Jimmy said it was just the battery. I drove around the block and the car appeared fine other than when I first started it. So I pay him the remaining $140 and drive the car a block away to my girl friend's mother's house. The car stalled out twice on the way back.
I went to Autozone and bought a new battery and the car continued to stalled out repeatedly. I noticed that when my girlfriend closed her door the engine would stall. I eventually realized they had not screwed the wiring harness into the firewall and left one of the grounding wires off. The words, "We don't do partial jobs" kept running through my head and out of all the things they had done without my consent the wiring was one of the few things I had actually asked them to do. Not to mention all those replacement parts they had charged me for were not in the car and the old parts were still in it.
I took the car back Saturday but they refused to fix it, they were very hostile, and made several insulting comments. I ended up fixing it myself and it took about 15 minutes but I really think this was sloppy work.